Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

oh, birds

Our cats are hunters. Coleridge especially. I know this is just a part of his nature, but when we added a doggie door to give the pets free access to come in and out of the house as they please, we altered the natural balance and, apparently, are just begging for their trophies to be dragged inside.

Earlier in the week, Cole brought in a still-flapping mourning dove, bringing it right up to me for my approval. Before that it was a little black bird, that I found Dahlia munching in the living room. A few weeks ago, a squirrel, on our couch...

This is becoming quite the problem fast. I am afraid I'll find Liam playing with the carcass of whatever their next catch is.

So, when I saw feathers all over the laundry room floor this morning, I knew what I was looking for, and I began to make the rounds so I could find it and dispose of whatever kind of bird it used to be, before Liam woke up.

I scanned the floors, and was surprised to look up in the bathroom
and find a robin perched on the windowsill,
eyeing me as if I were the intruder.
Aside from some crooked wing feathers, he seemed to be okay.

Here's Gabriel, doing his manly duty, and setting the robin free outside.
I have a ridiculous apprehension when it comes to birds.
They frighten me.
On that note, we brought home 10 baby chicks today, which we're hoping will mean lots of eggs in the not-too-distant future. More on that later. I haven't taken pictures yet, and I'm avoiding a messy kitchen as I type...

1 comment: