Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Hot Cocoa


When I decided to no longer buy anything that contains high fructose corn syrup [HFCS], I knew it was an easy decision. Compelling evidence points to HFCS as a major contributor to our nation's sugar addiction and subsequent weight problems, not to mention the corporate tie-ins concerning our dependence on corn for basically everything (for more on that, read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma). It's amazing where I have found HFCS lurking in the ingredient list: everything from hot dog buns to canned kidney beans.


Shopping at Ozark Natural Foods takes care of this detective work: they don't stock anything containing HFCS, or artificial coloring or preservatives for that matter. However, that ease of mind and shopping comes with a hefty price tag on certain items, especially hot chocolate mix. Making my own hot cocoa mix significantly cuts down on the cocoa bill, especially during these cold months.


Hot Cocoa Mix
I make this with either Organic Valley's nonfat dry milk powder or the soy beverage mix powder I can get in the bulk section, Equal Exchange's fair trade cocoa powder, and sucanat sugar (dehydrated cane juice).

1 cup dry milk or soy beverage mix

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup sugar

To use, just add 3-4 tablespoons per mug of hot water. Stir well and savor.

Here's another green tip: wash and reuse your mug throughout the day. It's such an obvious thing, but if I'm honest I'll admit that there have been days I've gone through 3 or 4 by evening.

Here's my favorite mug. Somehow every drink tastes better in it - I've already begun to try and mentally prepare myself for the day Liam breaks it. It will happen. I just know it.
For more Thrifty Green Thursday tips, visit the Green Baby Guide here.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I like making my own cocoa mix too, and need to make some more. I made a lot at Christmas to give as gifts, and this year made more of a Mexican cocoa with a bit of cinnamon and a tiny bit of cayenne, which was excellent.

    Your mug is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love homemade cocoa, too. i've never made a powdered mix but do love making it with regular milk on the stove. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade cocoa on the stovetop. But having a homemade mix would be nice too. Like that mug!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this recipe! I was wanting to make up my own mix but hadn't had a formula at my fingertips yet. I'm assuming that for the occasional cup of chocolate milk I'd just add the cocoa and the sugar. I have to admit that I add a bit of peppermint extract or almond extract to my hot cup of cocoa just to make it feel a bit more exotic. We're glad you joined us this week for Thrifty Green Thursday!

    ReplyDelete