Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Encouraging blossoms

I've seen Martha Stewart and other crafty sources go on and on about the joys of forcing early blooms, but I never tried it. Maybe it was because I was afraid that my cuttings just wouldn't work, or perhaps it was the barbarity of the term: I didn't want to force my plants to do anything. Then I realized that was just plain silly. I wouldn't really be forcing my plants into anything they weren't ready to do; instead I'd be giving them the opportunity to get a head start on what they were planning to do anyhow. I'd be encouraging them in their springtime efforts.

So I did it. And the results are fantastic. An early peek at spring above my kitchen sink.


Here's how I did it:

Take clippings of any spring-blooming shrub or tree. I used forsythia.

Stick them in water in a sunny location. Change water periodically until blooms emerge.

That's it! And look how beautiful they are: So, for some early spring time blossoms, encourage some clippings on your window sill.

For more Thrifty Green Thursday ideas head on over to the Green Baby Guide.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I should try this! We have a tree in our backyard (crab apple, I think?) that blooms beautifully in the spring. We could use some early spring around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a glorious idea! We have no such blooming trees at our house but perhaps I shall go on a field trip with my son today to search for some budding branches. It would be nice to have a bit of spring available inside even though it hasn't quite burst forth outside yet. Thanks for joining us this week for Thrifty Green Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I have a LOT of blooming trees. How early is too early, I wonder? They don't seem anywhere near blossoming. Maybe I should just try it! I love your picture; it looks beautiful.

    Thanks for the TGT tip. I'll try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very fun! I love flowers and can never get quite enough of them. :-) I am trying to think if I have anything that this would work for.

    ReplyDelete